The National Disability Insurance Scheme is a national system providing individualised support for people with a permanent and significant disability, their families and carers.


  1. Do you have Australia Residency?
    To Access NDIS you must live in Australia and be:
  • An Australian Citizen or
  • A permanent Resident or
  • Hold a protected special category Visa
  1. Are you under 65 years of age?
  • You must be under 65 to access NDIS
  1. Do you live in an area where NDIS is available?
  • To access NDIS right now you must reside in an NDIS area on a designated date.
  1. Do you usually need support from a person or equipment to do everyday things for yourself because of an impairment or condition that is likely to be permanent?
    Consider the following when answering the above for yourself;
    Do you usually need support for the following?


  • Understand and be understood by other people
  • Make friends and cope with emotions
  • Get out of bed and do house chores
  • General hygiene of yourself
  • Do daily jobs, handle money and make decisions
  • Remembering things
  1. Do you require support now to reduce your support needs in future?

To meet the NDIS early intervention rules, you need to

  • have an impairment or condition that is likely to be permanent (lifelong); or
  • be a child under 6 years of age with a developmental delay and the delay means you usually need more help with your self-care, communication, learning or motor skills than another child of the same age.

Call NDIS on 1800 800 110 if you have any questions or to ask for an access request form.


Upon receiving a valid access request, the NDIA must respond within 21 days. You can find more information about this in the NDIA Operational Guidelines. This timeframe applies to a person who resides in an NDIS area, and who has made a valid request with all relevant information and evidence about their disability or impairment.

In some cases, the NDIA may need more documents, assessments or evidence, which means it might take longer for your request to be assessed.